Friday, April 20, 2012

Honey Walnut Quinoa {Vegetarian, Whole Food}

I tried soaking quinoa (well, for longer than 5 minutes) for the first time this week and I absolute love it. I already loved quinoa, but the soaked version is fluffier and even more delicious. Plus, I can soak and cook a big batch (I used this method from The Nourishing Gourmet) at the beginning of the week and have snacks, side dishes and breakfasts to munch on throughout the week. One of the dishes I threw together that turned out really well was Honey Walnut Quinoa for breakfast. The kids and I all love it, either cold or warm. If you're a quinoa fan, it's a must-try simple to throw together dish for breakfast or snack. For vegans, I think it would be great with maple syrup or agave nectar subbed in for the honey (I used yogurt whey to for the acid to soak the quinoa, but you could use raw apple cider vinegar to veganize that, too).

Honey Walnut Quinoa
Ingredients for 1 serving
Directions
Stir all ingredients together. Heat if desired.

The Results
This dish is incredibly simple and incredibly delicious. I think I've eaten it seven or eight times since I first tried it. I highly recommend it if you're a fan of quinoa or as a good way to try quinoa if you haven't yet.

This post shared at Gallery of Favorites, Fresh Bites Friday, Friday Favorites, Frugal Fridays and I'm Lovin' It.

5 comments:

  1. We call this breakfast quinoa and love it. It's incredibly versatile adding what ever dried fruits and nuts might be in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...I love it. I bet cranberries would be delicious in it, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks, France!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of the honey and the walnuts with the quinoa - sounds like a delicious breakfast! I have never soaked quinoa, but from your post and the one you linked to I can definitely see the benefits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I heartily reccomend the soaking. My husband hit it on the head yesterday when he said it tastes "buttery" after being soaked and cooked. He actually thought for a moment that id added butter to the quinoa. Delicious!

      Delete
  3. What a delicious breakfast recipe! I have never had quinoa for breakfast, but I plan to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete