Friday, December 30, 2011

Taco Macaroni Pizza {Vegetarian}

Day 364.

We sometimes go to one of those crazy toppings pizza buffets and one of the pizzas they have is a macaroni and cheese pizza. It's OK, it's more exciting for the novelty of it than anything. But I've always wondered if I could make a more delicious version at home: maybe with marinara sauce and good macaroni instead of the vague white sauce and bland mac and cheese. This is not exactly that pizza, but that's where the thought process originated. I went with a Mexican version of the same idea since we had Taco Mac in the fridge.

Taco Macaroni Pizza
Ingredients

  • 1 12-inch pizza crust (I use Betty Crocker's recipe)
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 cup Taco Mac (or your favorite macaroni and cheese)
  • 1/2 cup black beans, cooked
  • 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded*
*Note: use dairy-free Mexican cheese shreds for a vegan version 


Directions

Preheat oven to 425. Pre-bake crust without toppings on a large cookie sheet spread with cornmeal at 425 for 7-9 minutes. Leave oven on. Pull crust out and spread on sauce, top with macaroni, black beans and Mexican cheese.

Bake at 425 for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.


The Results
Now I find this hilarious: while Bug and I preferred yesterday's Italian sausage pizza and the husband and Goose didn't like it as much, we swapped opinions today. I thought this was pretty good, but not as delectable as the Italian sausage. Bug agreed. The husband and Goose thought this was the best pizza. I really liked the salsa base and theirs something satisfying about the gooey macaroni on top. Overall, I liked both of our pizzas this week, I just liked the Italian sausage pizza more than this taco mac pizza. I definitely want to try again with marinara and standard mac and cheese another day.

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck FridayFrugal Fridays and I'm Lovin' It.

No comments:

Post a Comment