Sunday, December 18, 2011

Slow Cooker Five-Spice Beef and Napa Stew {Vegan}

Day 352.

It's another CrockPot kind of day. I consulted 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes with a search for Napa cabbage (I received a head of it in my recent CSA box). I found a delicious-sounding Five-Spice Beef Stew that I've adapted to my purposes. I love Napa cabbage, but my tendency is to always use it as the backbone of a stir-fry meal. I wanted to try something where it could take more of a central role in the dish. By increasing the amount of cabbage in this dish and reducing the amount of "beef," I'm hoping to highlight the cabbage.

Slow Cooker Five-Spice Beef and Napa Stew
Adapted from Five-Spice Beef Stew.
Ingredients for 4 servings
  • 8 ounces seitan, cubed
  • 1 1/2 cups Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
  • 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 head Napa cabbage, coarsely sliced
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha (or any Chinese chili sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
Grease or spray a 6-quart crock. Add all ingredients except salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

The Results
This is definitely a change of pace from my usual stew. I've never had a five-spice flavored stew that I can recall. I think it's good, but not my favorite. The cabbage and the "beef" turned out well, I suppose I just wasn't prepared for the dominance of the clovey-cinnamon flavor. The kids enjoyed it (though I had to cut everything smaller for them) and the husband thought it was interesting. Maybe not a repeat, but a good experience with a different flavor profile.

What are you having for Sunday Brunch, Breakfast or Lunch?

This post is shared at Penny Worthy Project, Cookbook Sundays,Creative Bloggers and· Savory Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment