Friday, September 2, 2011

Sloppy Joe Race Cars {Vegan}

Day 245.

If you're a long-time reader, you may recall my declaration that I simply Do Not Like Sloppy Joes (Day 75). So, you might be wondering, why on Earth is she trying another Sloppy Joes recipe? First off, the car is super cool. Second, my husband has assured me repeatedly that if I just try Manwich and not any of these "frilly" recipes for Sloppy Joes, that I might actually like them. So that's what I'm doing. The car parts are pretty flexible. You can use whatever veggies or "meats" that you like to build the wheels, steering wheel, headlights and (if desired) insert a tiny driver.

The kids thought these were super cool. But it took them a while to actually break down and eat them. Bug actually took a bite out of a wheel and put it back at one point. She then ate the olive headlights and said "where's his eyes??" in a super sad voice. Probably best for these to go to preschool age and older kids (our oldest is 2.5) who might be more interested in playing for a minute or two and then devouring.

Sloppy Joe Race Cars
Adapted from Race Car Sloppy Joes.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups Lentil and Rice Ground Beef Substitute or packaged beef substitute
  • 15.5 sloppy joe sauce or pasta sauce
  • hoagie rolls (or you can use unsliced hot dog buns)
  • Car decorations:
    • zucchini or cucumber (wheels)
    • olives or cherry tomatoes (headlights)
    • pretzel twists (steering wheel option)
    • vegan pepperoni (steering wheel option)
    • pretzel sticks or carrot sticks (attachments)
    • roma tomato or radish (for the driver)
Directions
Mix and heat the beef and sloppy joe sauce through.

Hollow out some of the roll. Cut out a rectangle and pull out the bread. Place a pretzel twist or half zucchini slice and half-vegan pepperoni slices as the steering wheel. Attach car wheels (zucchini slices) and headlights (pepperoni olives) with pretzel sticks.You can also create a tiny driver out of a roma tomato or radish.

Fill with sloppy joe meat.


The Results
This was much better than any Sloppy Joe I'd tried previously. I still only cared for it in a thin layer on my huge hoagie roll, but it was good. My husband loved it. And, once she got over the trauma of eating the tiny cars, Bug liked it, too. Goose loves everything; this was no exception. I think I'd much prefer the spaghetti sauce version of sloppy joes because I'm pretty sure it's the strong Worcestershire tang to the "joes" sauce that I don't care for. Tiny kids may like that version better, too.

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck FridayFrugal Fridays, Foodie Friday, Fresh Food Friday, I'm Lovin' It, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, What's Cooking Wednesday, What's on Your Plate?, What's on the Menu Wednesday, Let's Do Brunch, Works for me Wednesday, Gold Star Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, Foodie Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday and No Whine Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. So glad you made them! They look great! And thanks for linking back to me! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable, Kristi!! I bet my kids would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin--Thanks so much for the idea. Happy weekend to you, too!

    Pam--Thanks. :) they certainly pep up the sloppy joes for the little ones. There was a lot of "vroom vroom...yum" going around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a cute idea love it will make it when grands come for visit come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I've seen these on Making Memories with Your Kids before. They are so cute. It seems I never take the time to do fun things like this for my kiddos. Maybe I'll have to change that... Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super cute! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I just added this to my pinterest page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these....not a fan of SLoppy Joes myself, but this is so cool.

    Thank you so much for sharing it at Foodie Wednesday. I hope you can join us again today with another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are SO cute! What a fantastic way to get kids to enjoy their food! I like Sloppy Joes and I sure wish I had thought to do something like this when my son was little!

    ReplyDelete