We're big sushi fans here, but, as a vegetarian, I don't get a whole ton of selection at the average sushi bar. There are some great veggie rolls, but usually only about four kinds. So, I sometimes break down and make my own. This sushi salad looks so creative, and so much simpler than sushi, I had to try it.
Adapted from Sushi Salad.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegan fish sauce (See Thai Style Dumplings for a homemade recipe)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (the inspiring recipe uses this plus 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped pickled ginger
- 5 green onions, white and green parts both, chopped
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Mix all the sauce ingredients. When the quinoa is cool, stir it into the sauce until well-combined.
Stir in all the veggies and refrigerate. When ready to serve, scoop onto plate with an ice cream scoop.
This was pretty good and so creative. I think, if we make it again, I'll mix in some chopped nori.
This post is shared at·Tuesdays at the Table,·Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,·Tasty Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday,·Tempt My Tummy Tuesday,·Delicious Dishes,·Real Food Wednesday, Recipe of the Week, Hearth and Soul, and Tasty Tuesday.