Thursday, August 25, 2011

Black Bean and Green Salsa Corn Muffins {Vegetarian}

Day 237.

I almost made these muffins a couple weeks back after I made Love Cakes. But, for whatever reason, I didn't get around to them. When I had some leftover black beans from Monday's Taco Bowls, (and still had Green Salsa in the freezer) I new what I would make for Leftover Creation day.I absolutely love corn muffins. And, of course, black beans and Green Salsa. So I'm really excited to try this creation.

Black Bean Green Salsa Corn Muffins
Ingredients
  • 1 cup masa
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup lime buttermilk (1 tablespoon lime juice in just under 1 cup milk, let sit for 5 minutes)
  • 1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup Green Salsa
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/2 cup black beans
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 and grease muffin tins for 18 muffins.

Combine dry ingredients (first five ingredients through salt). In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients (all remaining). Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir just enough to combine.

Using an ice cream scooper, scoop corn muffin batter into muffin tins (about 3/4 full). Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack. Serve with extra green salsa, sour cream or butter, if desired.
The tiny helping hand insisted her
partially-eaten muffin needed
to be in the photo.

The Results
Wow. These are fantastic. Bug, our 2.5-year-old, asked adamantly for seconds immediately upon finishing the first. She then wanted that muffin to be included in the photo. So I'd say these are definitely kid-friendly. (She helped me mix the muffins, too.) It's like a whole meal in a tiny muffin, with all the food groups. The green salsa, while not a dominant flavor, makes the corn muffin super flavorful. So, instead of a somewhat dull cornbread flavor, the whole muffin has a mild hint of roasted tomatillo. Yum.

This post is shared with Simple Lives Thursday, Tip Day Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Recipe Swap Thursday,Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, Things I Love Thursday, It's a Keeper, Full Plate Thursday, Grocery Cart Challenge and Ultimate Recipe Swap.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristi,
    What a great Corn Muffin, I just love all the ingredients that you have in your recipe. Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really yummy! I love black beans, and any recipe with black beans in it!

    ReplyDelete