Friday, July 29, 2011

Sweet Broccoli Pasta Salad {Vegetarian}

Day 210.

Our girls are apparently weird for toddlers. They love vegetables. It's insane how much. Sometimes when we ask Bug what she'd like for dinner she says "broccoli, please." But hey, who am I to judge? I love broccoli, too. So, I assumed this would be a hit with the girls (Goose is also a huge fan of "bacon"...we call her the breadatarian and apparently this "bacon" substitute falls in that category for her). The dressing is a new one to me, but reminds me a bit of poppyseed dressing (without the poppyseeds), so I think we'll like that, too.

Sweet Broccoli Pasta Salad
Adapted from Sweet Broccoli Pasta Salad.
Ingredients
  • 3 cups broccoli florets (we went with all broccoli instead of a broc-cauli blend because Bug is obsessed with broccoli)
  • 1 cup Black Forest Bacon Strips, chopped 
  •  1 cup onion, diced
  • 8 ounces pasta (I used penne)
  • 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions:Boil water for the pasta. When water is boiling, add pasta (take special note to set the timer for the pasta but set it for 2-3 minutes before the pasta is due to be done. Add broccoli to the water and continue cooking 2-3 more minutes.

Drain pasta and broccoli and place in a large bowl. Add in "bacon" and onion. In separate small bowl, mix together dressing (mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar). Pour over pasta and mix well. Chill and serve.

The Results
Bug went crazy for this ... which, was, well, to be expected. Pasta, broccoli, what can go wrong. I loved the dressing. It's sweet and tangy and delicious. This is a definite repeat.

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck FridayFrugal Fridays, Foodie Friday, Fresh Food Friday and I'm Lovin' It.

1 comment:

  1. What a great pasta salad! I am definitely trying this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete