Friday, July 1, 2011

Portabella Pesto Pasta {Vegan}

Day 182.

We got some awesome baby portabella mushrooms in our latest CSA box and I had a bit of kale pesto (made with pecans this time) leftover and a fresh, delicious red onion, also from the CSA box. So, of course, I am making this yummy-sounding Portabello Pesto Pasta. I drooled a little just thinking about it.

Portabella Pesto Pasta
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 ounces baby portabellas, stemmed and sliced
  • 1 cup pesto
  • 1/2 pound pasta, cooked per package directions (I used egg-free pasta ribbons) 
  • Parmesan substitute (optional)
Directions
Heat oil over medium heat. Brown onions for about 15 minutes. Add garlic and baby portabellas.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Top with Parmesan substitute, if desired.

Fold in pesto and pasta. Heat through for about 3 to 5 minutes.

The Results
Holy moly. Yum. My husband and I absolutely adored this pasta. Bug put lots of "shaky cheese" on top and spun it around for a while. But I think that had more to do with the plateful of cheese and crackers she wolfed down the hour before that. The flavor of the red onions and bellas with the pesto was so rich and flavorful. Love it.

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck FridayFrugal Fridays, Foodie Fridayand I'm Lovin' It.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful, and I'm actually LOVING the kale pesto...I definitely need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly like Kale Pesto way more than basil pesto. And it's so simple! Insert stuff into food processor. Pulse. Done. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish. We'd love you to share your recipe with us at
    Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete