Friday, July 8, 2011

Chard and Chickpea Penne {Vegan}

Day 189.

I just finished a big batch of slow-cooked (previously dried) chickpeas and I received some gorgeous magenta chard (a new chard to me) in the CSA box this week. So I had to try this delicious-sounding Swiss Chard Chickpea recipe. Swiss Chard is pretty similar to the magenta, with the exception of the color. And I think, at least in my experience a bit of a sweetness difference also.

Chard and Chickpea Penne
Adapted from Swiss Chard adn Chickpea Pasta.
Ingredients
  • 1 pound pasta
  • 1 bunch magenta chard
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • House seasoning, to taste
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped toasted
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • Parmesan cheese substitute (optional)
Directions
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, wash chard and pull leaves off stems. Slice leaves. Set aside all but 4 stems for another use. Dice 4 stems.

Cook onion over medium-high heat with a bit of olive oil. Stir until onion begins to brown. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, diced chard stem and mushrooms and reduce heat. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms soften, adding a tablespoon or two of water if needed to prevent sticking. Add tomato paste and vegetable broth and stir to combine. Add chickpeas and simmer until pasta is done.

Stir in the chard and cover. Cook until chard is just wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the pasta, season with House seasoning, to taste.

Top with toasted walnuts, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with parmeasan cheese substitute, if desired.

The Results
I love the chickpeas and I like the greens in my pasta. But I think I prefer kale. The chard is a bit too tart here without some sweetness added in. I normally use red onion with chard and I was really missing it here.

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck FridayFrugal Fridays, Foodie Fridayand I'm Lovin' It.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love trying new pasta dishes and veggies.
    Thanks for linking to Fat Camp Friday, enjoy your weekend and see you next time! http://bit.ly/mTxy7l

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so good and I love chard and chick peas! Found you through Fat Camp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm...chard and chickpeas, two of my favorite things! This sounds like a wonderful dish =)

    ReplyDelete