Thursday, June 9, 2011

Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth Recipe

Easy Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth
Ingredients
  • 1 gallon freezer bagful of vegetable scraps
    (I collect these from all my chopped vegetables over about a month. Onion ends, carrot stubs, kale stems, broccoli stalks, all make awesome broth.)
  • 1 tablespoon House seasoning
    (4 parts kosher salt, 1 part black pepper, 1 part garlic powder)
  • Spices of choice
    (I usually use fresh or dried Italian seasoning)
  • 6-8 cups water.
Directions
Place all ingredients in 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 8 hours. Allow to cool just enough to handle the crock.

Strain broth through a sieve or cheesecloth and compost or discard scraps.

Pour hot liquid into four pint canning jars and can either in a water or pressure canner.

5 comments:

  1. this so nutritious because it comes from vegetable =) I will start collecting vegetable scraps from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I always hate throwing things away but now I'm keeping it all. How long does it keep once you've bottled it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never stays around my house long enough to go bad, but the National Center for Home Food Preservation says most canned foods should be consumed within a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question about how you store the broth. Is it being stored in the fridge or in the pantry at room temperature?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I store mine in the pantry at room temperature until it's opened.

    ReplyDelete