Thursday, April 28, 2011

Leftover Creation: Vegetarian Butterbean Ragout Tortilla Casserole Recipe

Day 118.

It's leftover day. Hooray! So, I've kinda been making leftovers all week. Hmm....what do I have left that's not already recycled? Butterbean Ragout! That stuff is almost so good I don't want to tinker with it; but alas, there is that possibility that it can be even better. So here we go.

Butterbean Ragout Tortilla Casserole
Ingredients
2 C Butterbean Ragout
1.5 C Mexican cheese, shredded
6 corn tortillas
1/2 C sliced green onions

Directions
Spray 8 x 8 or 9 x 6 baking dish with non-stick spray. Layer 2 corn tortillas on bottom. Top with 1/3 of ragout and 1/2 C of cheese. Repeat for 2 more layers. Add green onions to top. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

The Results
Mmm...this is so tasty! I debated about lasagna, but didn't think the Mexican flavors would go as deliciously with the noodles. I love this dish a lot. I'll make it again in the future. This ragout was a total "ooh, let's put this in" kind of create-a-recipe, so I'm super excited that the original and the leftover creation from it turned out so well.

Project Food Budget:
$8 on milk is all we spent this week. Wow! We were broke, again. Sigh. Babies are expensive I tell you.

Goal: $75/$300
Actual: $8/$246

Hooray! Under budget for April! 

Participating Blogs:


This post is shared with Simple Lives Thursday, Tip Day Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Recipe Swap Thursday,Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, Things I Love Thursday, It's a Keeper, Full Plate Thursday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Cooking Thursday and Ultimate Recipe Swap.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristi,
    This is very interesting. I have never thought of combining Butter Beans with tortilla's, but it looks really good. Very healthy! Look at you on day 118 of your goal already, time flys when you are having fun, right...Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those recipes that just sort of happened. It started out with "what can I put in the butterbeans to be soaked up while they cook?" and just sort of came together from there. It was super tasty, and yes, very healthy I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete