Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Curried Egg Salad with Caramelized Onions Recipe

Day 117.

More leftover Easter eggs? No problem! I've never been a lover of egg salad sandwiches, which is a shame as it's a staple for deli-going vegetarians. It's one of those you could even get in a gas station sandwich shop if you were so brave. To me, it always tastes like egg yolks and mayonnaise. Fine ingredients with other things, but not so great for the overall taste, in my opinion. My husband likes egg salad. We both love curry. Curried egg salad sandwiches? Win!

With the pink and green speckles, these look like
"funfetti" eggs, but they tasted normal.
Curried Egg Salad
Adapted from Curried Egg Salad.
Ingredients
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, diced
3/4 tsp. House seasoning
1/2 tsp. sugar
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1/2 medium red or orange organic bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
 3/4 C mayonnaise
 2 Tbsp. minced cilantro or about 1 tsp dry
 1 small green serrano chile, minced (I subbed jalapeno)
 2 teaspoons hot Madras curry powder
 1 tsp. hot mustard powder

Directions
Caramelize the onions: Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and fry for about 5 minutes until it becomes transparent. Add House seasoning, the sugar and saute for another minute. As soon as it changes color, remove from the heat and set aside.

In a large bowl, mash the boiled eggs with a fork or potato masher or finely chop them. Add the onion and bell pepper and mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, jalapeno/chile, curry powder, and salt to taste. Mix well. Add the mustard and mix until well combined. Add the eggs and mix.

Serve on toasted bread, pitas or bagels.

The Results
Mmm...I dig it. The husband likes it, too. I lobbied for increasing the curry powder even more, but he said he liked it fine as is. So, we settled for me mixing a bit extra into my serving. It's delicious. I like egg salad, who knew? Too bad I still won't like the standard version.

What's your favorite deli meal?

This post is shared with Real Food Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, What's Cooking Wednesday, What's on Your Plate?, What's on the Menu Wednesday, Let's Do Brunch, Works for me Wednesday, Gold Star Wednesday and No Whine Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for posting it to What's On the Menu Wed.nesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious! I love the idea of the caramelized onions. Thank you for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch. Hope to see you again at the linky tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete