Friday, March 11, 2011

Vegetarian Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe


Day 70.

We're fans of the E! show The Soup (it was formerly known as Talk Soup). If you're also a fan, you may recall a clip from the Maury Pauvich Show or some such show. Some woman who supposedly thinks her husband is cheating blames the other woman's chicken tetrazzini for the affair. Since then, my husband has shown an interest in chicken tetrazzini. So, when I saw a version on Prairie Story's blog, I knew I had to convert it.

Happy Lent Friday to all those popping over to find meatless recipes! I'm giving up gluten for Lent Fridays this year. We'll see how that goes. It feels like cheating for me to give up meat.

Chicken Tetrazzini
Adapted from Chicken Tetrazzini.
Ingredients
4 "chicken" breasts, cubed (about 4 C of vegan chicken substitute, e.g. 1 bag of Quorn chicken tenders)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used half a large red onion)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper
1 pound fettuccine or spaghetti cooked
2 "cans" mushroom soup substitute (you can find the recipe in this post)
1 can mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4-8 roasted garlic cloves

Directions
Caramelize onions and in olive oil in fry pan, season generously with salt & pepper. Add "chicken."

In a large mixing bowl (or in your baking dish if you don't want to waste a bowl) combine cooked fettuccine (or linguine, or spaghetti) with chicken mixture and the rest of the ingredients.

Place in greased 9x13 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil (I don't like to use foil, so I topped it with a cookie sheet and my garlic bread to serve with the meal).

Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes.

The Results
Ooh. This is good. It reminds me a lot of Angel Chicken, also sometimes called Cream Cheese Chicken. The roasted garlic makes the flavor super tasty. Husband and toddler both loved it as well.

What is your favorite pasta sauce?

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck Friday, Friday FavoritesFrugal FridaysFriday Favorites and I'm Lovin' It.

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, thanks for sharing! My fav pasta sauce is just some tomatoes cooked down with onions, garlic and basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tettrazini! I'm dairy free (though not a vegetarian), and I make it with soy milk and nutritional yeast to flavor the sauce. If you did the soy milk and nut. yeast along with your vegan chicken, it'd be a completely vegan dish. Good to have options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristy! That sauce sounds simple and fantastic.

    Betsy ~ thanks so much for the vegan conversion. I love what nutritional yeast does to boost up those veggie sauces. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks great! And your menus sound delicious. I love your Vegan Conversion tab too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Soup! I made a sweet potato recipe this weekend and my husband and I kept doing the Oprah "sweeeet potatoooo" thing while we were making it. It never gets old.

    This recipe sounds fantastic--my mom used to always bring chicken tetrazzini to potlucks, so it brings back memories. I had been thinking about doing a remake with a cashew sauce in lieu of the soup and milk, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been some good Tetrazzini to cause an affair! Yours sounds like a great substitute. Thanks for linking with Fat Camp Friday, hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete