Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vegan Beef, Broccoli and Cashew Nut Stir Fry Recipe


Day 68.

I'm so incredibly excited about this recipe. At first, I was going to wuss out, like always and use "chicken." But no! I created a "steak strip" recipe from the ground beef substitute. Oh my goodness! There will be so many more steak strip recipes in the future now. I'm doing a little dance in my chair as I type just thinking about it. Yes, I'm that big of a nerd. 

Beef, Broccoli and Cashew Nut Stir Fry
Adapted from Beef Broccoli Cashew Nut Stir Fry.
Ingredients
30ml (2 Tbsp.) soy sauce
45ml (3 Tbsp.) sherry (I was unexpectedly lacking sherry, I subbed in rice wine vinegar)
5ml (1 tsp.) sugar
30ml (2 Tbsp.) sunflower oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Steak Strip substitute (whole foods)
300g (10 oz) broccoli florets
25g (1 oz) roasted cashew nuts, or more if you like (I used about 3/4 C)

Directions
Mix the soy sauce, sherry, sugar and 30 ml (2 tbsp) water in a small bowl.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok. Caramelize the onions.

Add the broccoli and cashews to the pan, stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the soy mixture. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes until the broccoli is just tender.

Tip the beef into the pan and heat through briefly before serving with noodles or rice.

The Results
Fantastic. Seriously delicious. I'm so excited about more steak recipes. And this one was just simplicity and perfection. I thought I'd have to season it more than it suggested, but it was so great as-is. Yum. I highly recommend this recipe (and the steak strips).

What's your favorite meat substitute?

This post is shared with Real Food Wednesday, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, What's Cooking Wednesday, What's on Your Plate?, What's on the Menu Wednesday, Let's Do Brunch, Works for me Wednesday, Gold Star Wednesday, No Whine Wednesday, and What's for Lunch Wednesday.

7 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your website. No one in our family is vegetarian or vegan, but I know I want us to eat a lot less meat. Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to try the meat substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Daphne. You should talk the fam into Meatless Monday! Or you could do meatless Fridays for Lent (even if you aren't religious, it's a good challenge). I am giving up gluten this Lent (it doesn't seem fair to give up meat since I already do that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really, really good! Not sure I can slip the meat-substitute by my carnivore daughter ... she's got a wicked skill to ferreting out tofu, TVP, and other faux meats. But worth a try, right?

    You're you feeling, 2 months into the new lifestyle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. (oops, should read "how're you feeling..." -- clearly I shouldn't be up so late! Just finished the taxes)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. Maybe she'll like it if you call them rice and bean balls instead of fake meat? Good luck. And, oh my, you were up late! I hope the taxes went well.

    We're doing great. Saving quite a bit on food with only making one meal and not throwing things away like I often did with my failed attempts to cook real meat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ANYTHING stir fried! OK, maybe not anything...but most things. ;) This looks very tasty. If I didn't know better, I totally would have thought that was real beef in the pic. Great job! Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are being featured tomorrow. This dish is worthy of recognition and more. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete