Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Vegan Slow Cooker Bean and Rice Soup Recipe


Day 74.

Mmm...it's like a taco, but it's soup. Slurp. I served it with homemade sourdough, but it would be excellent with tortillas or tortilla chips, also. I <3 Taco Tuesday.

Bean and Rice Soup
Adapted from Bean and Rice Soup.
Ingredients
2 C Mexican-seasoned taco "meat" ("meat" + 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning) I used leftover Taco Meat 
1 C raw brown rice
4 C black beans
4 C veggie broth
2 C diced tomatoes

optional toppings: grated cheez, salsa, chopped cilantro, chopped onion

Directions
Place all ingredients in the crock of a slow cooker. Stir gently. Place the lid on top and turn on the cooker. Cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high. Serve with toppings.

The Results
This was absolutely fabulous. And, bonus, I used up that taco meat I had in a baggie in the freezer. It's nice and spicy (at least it is with our homemade taco seasoning) and is a perfect fall or winter treat. I'm clinging to my cold weather foods as spring is knocking at our door here in the South.

What seasonal food is your favorite?

This post is shared at·Tuesdays at the TableSlightly Indulgent TuesdayTasty Tuesday, Delectable TuesdayTempt My Tummy TuesdayDelicious DishesReal Food Wednesday and Tasty Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Just Stopping by from TMTT. I wanted to invite you to check out my Iron Chef Challenge This month's themed ingredient is canned tomatoes, so link up a recipe using those and you could win a prize. It should be a lot of fun, hope you can join us!!

    ReplyDelete