Saturday, March 5, 2011

Vegan Aloo Gobi Recipe (Indian Caulfilower and Potatoes)


Day 64.

If you're a regular follower, you *may* have noticed I have an untameable love of Indian foods. So, it probably comes as no surprise that I would attempt one of the favorites, Aloo Gobi. It's a fantastic cauliflower dish that's a staple at most Indian restaurants. And, it's almost always meat-free! Yay! But, we can't eat out every night, so how do we do this, take-out fake-out style? I think I found a great, simple recipe and made it even simpler

Recipe
Adapted from Aloo Gobi.
Ingredient
1 Tbsp. oil
2-3 Tbsp. curry
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
salt to taste
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in curry and garlic. Cook about 1 minute until garlic is lightly browned. Add the potatoes. Season garam masala, and salt. Cover and continue cooking 5 to 7 minutes stirring occasionally.

Mix the cauliflower and cilantro into the saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cover. Stirring occasionally, continue cooking 10 minutes, or until potatoes and cauliflower are tender. If you have trouble keeping the dish from burning, you can add a few tablespoons of water (I did).

The Results
This one got our toddler's patented "Mmm...mmm...good" seal of approval (and mine, too). I think if I'd change anything, I'd chop the cauliflower in smaller pieces next time, but the flavor is fantastic. I'm pretty sure substituting curry for all the various spices (which are already in the curry) didn't affect the flavor overly much. It was great. And oh so much cheaper than the $10 per plate I'd pay at the restaurant.

What's your favorite take-out fake-out?

3 comments:

  1. My favorite take out is Thai. I love Panang.
    Lately so, I have cooked a lot of vegetarian Indian dishes, too. They are so tasty. Thanks for this new recipe!
    Kirsten
    I will be posting one with chickpeas in a spicy tomato sauce soon. You will HAVE to try it, it is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had this (take-out) last night. So good! I'll have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what did you eat this sabzi with? Did you have roti (Indian flat bread) with it? Just curious :)
    I'm from India and vegetarian by religion. We have a wide variety of yumm food! You should try out more stuff.. pretty sure you would like it!
    Manali

    ReplyDelete