Thursday, March 10, 2011

Leftover Creation: Vegetarian Sausage, Cream Cheese and Veggie Frittata Recipe

Day 69.

I originally intended to make Pesto Chicken with my leftover pesto sauce. But there was no leftover pesto sauce (the toddler scarfed a lot of it down). So...new plan. I have some sausage and some veggies (leeks with a bit of mushroom "bacon" mixed in). And you know that rotel and sausage, cream cheese dip that's so good? I could turn that into a frittata! Minus the tomatoes (I don't like tomatoes in eggs, but I like ketchup on scrambled eggs; weird). So, what does that give me? Here we go!

Sausage, Cream Cheese and Veggie Frittata
Ingredients
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C mixed veggies (I used leeks and mushroom"bacon")
1 large vegan "sausage" link, finely diced
6 eggs
1/4 C cream cheese
1 C shredded cheese
House seasoning, to taste
Red pepper flakes (optional), to taste
Italian seasoning, 1 tsp.
Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish

Directions
Throw your onions in the pan (something shallow and fairly large...9 inches or so) with garlic and a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Caramelize the onions over medium to medium-high heat. (If your veggies are uncooked, add them to the pan and cook after onions start to brown.) Meanwhile, mix together remaining ingredients in a bowl. Once onions are caramelized, pour bowl of egg mix into pan and mix it with the onions and garlic. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 9-12 minutes until eggs are set. Top with parsley garnish if desired. Eat.

The Results
This was sooo good. I think it would be great with just about any veggies. My husband didn't care for this "sausage" in the Toads in a Hole, but luuurrvved this frittata (he had like three helpings for brunch and he rarely eats before dinner). Our toddler's not an egg fan, so she had a bite and said no thanks, as expected. But, I don't think the hubs and I will have any trouble finishing this on our own.

What's your favorite egg style or dish?

Project Food Budget:
Our budget is $300/month or $75/week. We spent $52 at Publix this week on groceries.

Goal: $75 per week, $300 per month
Actual: $52 this week, plus $42 last week = $94 total

This post is shared with Simple Lives Thursday, Tip Day Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Recipe Swap Thursday,What's on Your Plate?, Recipes I Can't Wait to Try, Things I Love Thursday, It's a Keeper, Full Plate Thursday, Grocery Cart Challenge, Cooking Thursday and Ultimate Recipe Swap

3 comments:

  1. Love how you can make something so delicious (and pretty!) out of leftovers. I've really been trying to do that too to save $. It really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was so good, and is really great for the budget and the full fridge each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristi,
    This looks like a great dish. Lots of yummy goodies. Thank you so much for sharing on Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete