Friday, February 11, 2011

Vegetarian Bacon Broccoli Penne Recipe


Day 42.

This is my first official "act of nature" affected recipe. Sigh. Read onto the results to learn more about this probably delicious Bacon Broccoli Penne in its natural state.

Bacon Broccoli Penne
Adapted from itsbettereveryday 
Ingredients
1 lb. penne
1/2 lb. (about 2C) "bacon"
2 C frozen broccoli florets
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 onion, chopped
1 C vegetable broth
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 C frozen peas
1/2 C grated parmesean

Directions
Cook the bacon. Boil the noodles. Add the broccoli to the noodles just before done cooking and drain in a colander after a few minutes. Take the pot that the noodles and broccoli was in and add the olive oil, onion, minced garlic and saute until the onion is soft. Add spices and vegetable broth, stir. Add noodles. Add bacon to the noodles along with the parmesean and peas. Stir to combine and enjoy.

The Results
So, I went to go thaw my delicious favorite dinner possibility from this month's once a month cooking (via Tricia at onceamonthmom.com) and my name-brand zipper bags (henceforth the bags that shall not be named) failed. Horribly. I thawed it in the sink, with warm water. I went to retrieve it and it looked sloshier than I expected. There were no less than 6 holes and one actual tear in the bag, so it filled with water and washed away much of the pasta seasoning. So, it was, no shock, underseasoned. I'll never know what it WOULD have tasted like. But I imagine it would've been delicious. It was almost good after being rinsed by the flood of sink tidewater into the bag that shall not be named. So, I reseasoned it with the original seasoning, but at that point, the noodles were a bit too soggy, too. So it was a disappointment at the least.

UPDATE: After I wrote this, and after I not-cussed the bags that shall not be named a while longer (I use bizarre kid-friendly phrases like son of a bee's nugget...they make no sense, but it helps me), I buckled down and put the pasta in a strainer. Then I re-added all the seasonings and parmesan. And it was sooo good. The pasta tore up a bit when I mixed it all together, but it was TASTY. So glad I could fix it.

Have you had any kitchen tool malfunctions lately that messed up your meal? What did you do? Get frustrated and junk it or work on making it right?

This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck Friday, Friday FavoritesFrugal FridaysFriday Favorites and I'm Lovin' It.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good...however my non broccoli loving family would probably not appreciate it! I have kitchen malfunctions all the time...unfortunately the problem is usually me! Have a great weekend! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my days like that too...I turn into a natural disaster myself. :)

    ReplyDelete