Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vegan Southwest Stuffed Peppers Recipe


Day 39.

It's Taco Tuesday! Today's "tacos" are stuffed peppers. Yum! This is a new recipe to me, though I love regular stuffed peppers (veggie-converted) from my Betty Crocker cookbook. This one is practically the same, but the taco seasoning should give it a new Southwestern spin.

Southwest Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients

1 pound equivalent (about 1/4 recipe) ground beef substitute

1/4 C chopped onions
2.5-3 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix (my recipe follows)
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 C black beans (note: I subbed this for the rice in the original. If you use a prepackaged "beef" you may want to add rice back in)
4 -6 bell peppers
1  14.5 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 15 -16 oz. jar salsa (I used a mix of green and red salsas)
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese or vegan cheez, sour cream, extra salsa


Directions
Combine "beef", onion, salsa (reserving about 1/2 C), seasoning mix and egg in a large bowl. Add rice and mix well.
Cut "lids" off of peppers. Spread tomatoes on the bottom of a 13 X 9 inch baking dish. The liquid from the tomatoes will reduce during cooking (optional, if you want it saucier, add about a cup of water). This also helps make the peppers softer.

Place peppers on top of the tomatoes. Spoon beef mixture into peppers, mounding as necessary.
Top each with extra salsa.

Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 40-45 minutes or until peppers are soft. Cover each pepper with cheese and return to oven, under the broiler, until the cheese melts (less than a minute).

Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
Adapted from Southwest Stuffed Peppers recipe. If you like this recipe, you should also check out this delicious Stuffed Pepper Stew I made last year.

Taco Seasoning Mix
1/4 Cup instant minced onion
3 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. crushed red pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. oregano, crushed


Mix all ingredients, put in an airtight shaky container for spices. Makes about 2/3 Cup taco seasoning blend. Yum.


The Results
These were fantastic and our toddler thought they were so "coo-uhl" and then said "Mmm...mmm...good," which is her ultimate seal of approval. And then she ran around unrolling and rerolling her tortilla...it was a surprise that earned a gasp every time. They are actually quite different from your standard stuffed peppers. Nice and spicy, but not overwhelmingly so.

Like Taco Tuesdays, but don't care for this recipe? Check out more Taco Tuesday recipes. What's your favorite Mexican-themed meal?

This post is shared at·Tuesdays at the TableSlightly Indulgent TuesdayTasty TuesdayTuesday TwisterDelectable TuesdayTempt My Tummy TuesdayDelicious DishesLet's Do BrunchReal Food WednesdayWhat's Cooking Wednesday, Hearth and SoulWorks for me WednesdayWatcha Makin' WednesdayWhat's on Your Plate?Recipes I Can't Wait to TryFull Plate ThursdayUltimate Recipe SwapMuffin Tin Monday and What's for Lunch Wednesday.

21 comments:

  1. This definitely looks more exciting than your average stuffed pepper! I'm currently on a fast that requires me to eat vegan, so I'm excited to check out more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! My husband and I recently committed to meatless Mondays and I'm looking for new recipes. Thanks for sharing! Following you from blog hop! www.twinglemommmy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word! This was SO yummy!! I completely changed my dinner plans when I saw this! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried making this one. I think it is complicated but I would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to try this out!!! thanks for posting. i'm your newest follower from blog hop. natalielovins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These stuffed peppers look awesome! Really they look delicious!So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. withoutadornment--Wow, good luck, glad I could help!

    April--thanks, they are delicious. The only criticism I got from meaty hubby was "they're a bit sweet"...no idea how that could be. I guess the peppers caramelized a bit? He said they were good, though. /shrug

    Twingle Mommy--Good for you for joining Meatless Monday. I like challenging myself with the Vegan Monday thing, it's really fun!

    Brea--Ha, that's so awesome! I'm glad you liked it. I really thought it was great, too. So tasty and simple.

    amish bed frame--it's really not difficult at all, mix, stuff, bake. :)

    Natalie Lovins--I'm so glad you found the blog, thanks for following. I'll go check out your blog, too.

    Alicia--So good, and glad you found me, too! Let me know if you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not vegetarian and so when I read "meat substitute" I immediately thought "quorn, or tofu or tvp" all of which we don't eat - and I was so excited to see it was REAL food! You have a winner in my book - perfect for lent at my house. Thank you for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made stuffed peppers before but never without meat... how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These stuffed peppers look delicious. Can't wait to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of these - nice and spicy! And thank you for sharing your taco spice blend - that sounds like a great store cupboard standby!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love stuffed peppers and I love mexican food so this recipe wins all the way around. I'm happy to have found your blog. We are attempting to eat more meatless meals this year. I am adding you to my reader and look forward to following along with you! Candace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love stuffed peppers. This looks super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stuffed peppers are so good! I love the sweet smell they put off after they've been baked with super yummy things stuffed inside of them! thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kristi,
    Oh Yum...I love southwest anything and these Southwest Stuffed Peppers look delicious. Thank you so much for bringing them to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kristi! I really love stuffed peppers! Yours look so yummy and I also love that you made your own meat substitute instead of purchasing some TVP. Thanks so much for sharing with us on the hearth and soul hop! Big hugs! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, stuffed peppers are popular! Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate it. These really are delicious. Please let me know if you try it. And yes Christy, I'm trying to incorporate more whole foods in our diet and give more whole foods options in my recipes as well. The lentil/rice beef is super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So I made a similar but not quite the same reciepe but I actually stuffed it into an onion. It wasa huge at thed inner table. I love comparing reciepes, so if you'd like to see mine its at http://www.eatingatelonas.com/?p=131

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great! I bet my husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I just learnt something new in the cooking world... who knew you could stuff a pepper!

    ReplyDelete