Monday, February 7, 2011

Vegan Mondays: Vegan Fire Roasted Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe


Day 38.

Here's another freezer selection. This was originally a tilapia (fish) dish, and I thought briefly about substituting jackfruit. But, jackfruit is something I have to order by mail, so I didn't want anyone to have to order something just to make a recipe I post. When I read Tricia's suggestion to substitute chicken if you don't want/have tilapia, I went with Quorn chicken cutlets. This is my Vegan Monday meal. Don't forget to stop by and link up or comment on your Meatless/Vegan Monday meal!

Fire Roasted Chicken
Adapted from Tilapia with Garlic, Roasted Tomatoes and Corn
Ingredients
2 C frozen whole kernel corn
14.5 ounces Hunt’s fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
1/2 C onion, diced
2 tsp. garlic
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1.5 tsp. salt
4 "chicken" cutlets
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
cooking spray


Directions
Combine all ingredients in 1 gallon freezer bag and freeze until ready to cook. Spray inside of 4-quart slow cooker. Insert bag full of frozen ingredients. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove and serve over rice. Optional: top with vegan sour cream (I used my homemade tofu sour cream.)

Servings: 4


The Results
Wow this was so easy. Slap the ingredients in the bag (if you're freezing) and just pull it out and throw it in the crock. Excellent! And, it's pretty tasty. I have a love-hate relationship with the Quorn cutlets. I think they're best with a creamy sauce, but this strength of the roasted veggies and the fact that it really seeped into the "chicken" helped this dish out. I think I would leave the dill out next time I make it, it doesn't really suit the chicken.

What's your favorite "insert ingredients and walk away" crock-pot meal?

This post shared with·Just Another Meatless MondayHappy Homemaker MondayHomemaker MondayMeatless MondaysMingle Monday, Mmm MondayCrock pot Wednesday and Monday Mania.

2 comments:

  1. Just stoppin' by from Mingle Monday to say Hi. Your recipe looks really tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of Quorn! This sounds like a tasty meal idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete