Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vegan Chicken Lo Mein Recipe


Day 57.

This was a freezer meal and it was completely ready to go, with the exception of the lo mein/spaghetti noodles to serve it over. But, I can't find it! It's been eaten by my freezer. So, I altered the "chicken" fried rice fixins to suit the lo mein recipe. Here's what came of that experiment.

Recipe
Adapted from Chicken Chow Mein.
Ingredients

2-3 C "chicken" cubes
2 C veggie broth
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 C snow peas
1 C shredded cabbage
1 diced red pepper
1 4 oz can of sliced mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)
1 can water chesnuts
1 can baby corn (I used half the can)
1 can bamboo shoots
Sesame Seed Oil
Soy Sauce
House Seasoning, to taste
Chow mein noodles, lo mein (or spaghetti) noodles or white rice


Directions

In a large pan - put a tbsp or two of sesame seed oil over medium heat and saute all the vegetables for 10 minutes or so. Cut the chicken into small pieces and add in. Add 2 cups of veggie broth and soy sauce to taste. Leave on medium heat and cook another 10 minutes or so. Serve over noodles of choice (I ended up using macaroni).



The Results
Yummy! There was a moment when I thought this turned out poorly, but it ended up fine after I stirred it up (there were a few pockets of seasoning when I thawed out the "fixins" that were intended to go into the fried rice). This was good. Much better than other "chicken" lo mein experiments I've tried. Our family loves lo mein, so this is a great addition to our recipe repertoire.

What's your favorite take-out fake-out?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristi,
    This Chicken Lo mein looks delicious, I am going to try it. Thank you for sharing and have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete