Saturday, February 19, 2011

Vegan Bolognese Sauce Recipe


Day 50.

I've done Bolognese here before, prior to the start of my challenge, but this was a slightly different version via Onceamonthmom.com

Bolognese Sauce

Adapted from Bolognese Recipe

Ingredients
2 pounds ground beef substitute
1 medium onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 14 oz cans chopped tomatoes, drained (oops, I accidentally used one "fire roasted" and 2 regular)
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
2 6 oz cans tomato paste
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions
Place all ingredients in 5 quart slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve over your favorite pasta. 

The Results
Yum! This was great and was super simple to just throw in the slow cooker and serve when done. It's hard to recall exactly, since it's been a few months, but I think I preferred the first version I made in December. This may be because I used my tried and true carrots trick to lessen the acidity (put chunks of carrots in to cook, then REMOVE them before serving the sauce and discard ... the carrots absorb the acid.)

Do you make homemade pasta sauce or use the jar? I'm so guilty of using the jar, but I have really enjoyed trying these yummy homemade versions recently.

3 comments:

  1. I use sauce in a jar. recipe looks delicious.Thanks for sharing.
    Now following you from MOmblognetwork
    stop on by and return the follow
    http://www.thenightowlmama.com

    see you then

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What makes it good is the sauce itself. I find it hard to make one, but it's worth it because it's very delicious.

    gluten free desserts

    ReplyDelete