Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vegan Beefy Empanadas Recipe


Day 46.

I've never had an empanada before today, but it's always been something I've wanted to try. Problem is, all the empanadas I see are filled with beef. So, when I stumbled across a beefy empanada recipe, I knew I had to convert it. And, I decided to go all the way and make it vegan. I've been weird about eggs since my vegan week.

Empanads
Adapted from Empanadas Recipe
Ingredients

Dough for empanadas mendocinas – makes about 20 medium or 30 small empanadas
3 cups flour
1 egg-yolk sized equivalent mashed banana (about 1.5 Tbsp.)
1/2 cup "buttery" margarine
3/4 C-1 C warm soy milk
1/2 tsp. salt

Beef picadillo filling
1 pound equivalent ground beef substitute (about 1/4 recipe)
2 white onions, diced, about 3 C
1/2 C "butter"
2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
2 Tbsp. chili powder or any ground hot pepper
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
1/2 Tbsp.ground cumin
1/2 C sliced green olives and jalepenos (I used a "hot" olive mix)
House Seasoning blend (4 parts Kosher salt and 1 part each pepper and garlic powder), to taste

Preparation
Empanada dough
Mix the flour and salt in a food processor, pulse until well combined.

Add the butter, blend well.
Add the banana mush "egg yolk" and the soy milk in small amounts, pulse until small dough clumps start to form.

Make a couple of balls, flatten into disks and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut out round disc shapes for empanadas (I used a glass measuring cup).

Use the empanada discs immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.

Beef picadillo filling and empanada assembly
Combine the "ground beef," paprika, red pepper, cumin, oregano, hot olives, salt and pepper in a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together and chill until ready to use.

To assemble the empanadas add a spoonful of the meat mixture on the center of each empanada disc.

Brush the edges of the empanada discs with water.

Fold the empanada discs and seal the edges gently with your fingers, twist and fold the edges of the empanadas with your fingers, as a final step use a fork to press down and finish sealing the empanadas.
Spray the top of the empanadas with cooking spray and lightly sprinkly House Seasoning on top; this will crisp them up when they bake.

Let the empanadas rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes or until ready to bake.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 F and bake for about 25 minutes.

Serve warm with chimichurri sauce or other dipping sauces; we used salsa.


The Results
Wow! I LOVE empanadas. These were fabulous. Seriously delicious. I wish I had made more so I could horde them and eat them all. Our toddler had one, but her lips puffed up a bit at the heat of the jalepenos and she asked for more milk twice. So, I had to cut her off at one. Not being selfish at all, really.

What's the favorite new food you've tried recently?

Like Taco Tuesdays, but don't care for this recipe? Check out more Taco Tuesday recipes. What's your favorite Mexican-themed meal? 


This post is shared at·Tuesdays at the TableSlightly Indulgent TuesdayTasty TuesdayTuesday Twister, Delectable TuesdayTempt My Tummy TuesdayDelicious DishesReal Food Wednesday and Hearth and SoulReal Food WednesdayWhat's Cooking Wednesday?Tasty TuesdayThings I Love Thursday, It's a KeeperFull Plate Thursday and Ultimate Recipe Swap.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kristi,
    Great Empanada, it looks really good. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love empanadas! This is an interesting take on the traditional recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband absolutely loves empanadas and I had never heard of them before we found some at the winter farmer's market by our house. I might have to try these out sometime. How well did the covers stay together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miz Helen--Thanks, they were super!

    Pattie--Yes, it is pretty traditional (except for the faux meat) and super yummy.

    Withoutadornment--They stayed together great. I wasn't sure how the "egg yolk" banana would hold up, but they were perfect little empanada pockets. No dough issues at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. new to me but something I plan to partake on in the near future

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi,
    I am so happy that you brought these wonderful Empanadas today. They look so delicious. Thank you so much for sharing them with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete