Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Brunch: Vegetarian Homemade Bagel Egg and Cheese Sandwich Recipe


Day 37.

I guess when I make up my mind to do more homemade breads, I go hog wild. I went to make my OAMC meals read to get across the street and saw the Bagel Egg & Cheese Sandwiches recipe Tricia included. I had a few bagels in the freezer from the store. But, I remembered my pledge to include more whole foods and thought I'd rather do the whole recipe and make my own bagels instead of A-reducing the recipe or B-buying more bagels. So, that's what I did. I used Tricia's recipe for the filling and froze that. Then, today, I made bagels, and pulled the egg "patties" out of the freezer and placed them in the delicious homemade sliced bagels.

Homemade Bagel Egg and Cheese Sandwiches
Ingredients
Bagels:
4 cups bread flour
1 Tbls sugar
1 1/2 tsps salt
1 Tbls vegetable oil
2 tsps instant yeast
1-1/4- 1-1/2 cups of warm water

Optional toppings: Sesame seed and House seasoning mix (4 parts kosher salt, 1 part each garlic powder ad black pepper)

Directions
Mix together all ingredients. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Section dough into 8 rolls. Let rest for 10-20 minutes. Roll each ball into snake-forms and wrap around your dominant hand. Squeeze ends together in palm to make a bagel circle. Let rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, start a pot of water boiling and preheat oven to 425. Boil bagels 3-4 at a time (as many as won't crowd your pot) for 1 minute per side. If you are using the topping blend, put ingredients on a plate prior to boiling and place boiled bagels on topping plate, pressing lightly. Flip bagels to put "topping" on top and place on greased cookie sheet.

Bake boiled and topped bagels for 10 minutes. Flip bagels (add egg patties, if cooking frozen patties, now) and return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove bagels from oven, top egg patties with cheese and return to oven for 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, slice bagels. Remove patties from oven and place inside bagels. Freeze any remaining bagels.

Filling:

Ingredients
6 each eggs
1/2 C evaporated milk (you can substitute regular milk if you would like)
1/2 C "bacon bits"
1 C vegetables, chopped (I used mushrooms and green onion)
4 slices Cheddar cheese
4 bagels, sliced in half
cooking spray

Directions
In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add in additional ingredients except bagels. Spray an 8×8 pan and add egg mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove the eggs from the oven, stir, and return to oven to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool.

If you're making these to eat today, place on the bagel and devour.

If not, Freezing Directions:

Prepare bagels as directed above. Instead of serving or heating, wrap in plastic wrap. Place in a gallon freezer bag. To serve: Reheat in microwave or on a panini grill until heated through.

What I did:

Freeze sectioned egg "patties." When flipping bagels, add egg patties. Remove bagels from oven, top patties with cheese and cook for another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and egg is heated through. Meanwhile, slice bagels. Remove egg patties from oven and put a patty inside four bagels. Freeze remaining bagels for future use.

Filling recipe adapted from Bagel Egg & Cheese Sandwiches from Tricia at Onceamonthmom.com.

The Results
Wow homemade bagels are fantastic! And the egg patties are pretty stinkin' yummy, too. Our toddler ate 2 bagels, one filled, one by itself. My husband came in the room, eating his and saying something about how they were horrible and that I shouldn't eat any of them. Hah! These were terrific and so easy to make.

What are you having for Sunday Brunch, Breakfast or Lunch?









Veggie Converter 365



This post is shared at·Sundays at One Food Club, Just Something I Whipped UpMy Meatless Mondays·and·Potluck Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these look so good! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I look so forward to trying it. You have a great blog. Glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alicia :) They are delicious and made a great pre-Super Bowl brunch.

    ReplyDelete