Thursday, February 10, 2011

Project: Food Budget, Week 5

I am participating in Project: Food Budget. I will be continuing my series on leftovers casserole, or whatever Frankenstein Leftovers Creation I make out of my pantry and my fridge leftovers every Thursday.

I started once-a-month cooking, based on some of the recipes found at Onceamonthmom.com. So, instead of sticking to a weekly budget this go-around, I'm doing a monthly budget. I'm reducing our monthly budget from $400 to $300 in an attempt to really challenge us. 

This week, we spent $38 on our CSA fruit and veggie box; $77 at Kroger and $60 at Sam's. We really had to restock a lot because of the staples we used up to do the OAMC meals. So, we blew our budget pretty soundly.

Budget: $300 ($75 for the week)

Actual: $175 this week, $153 last week = $328 total

So, we're over both the weekly and the monthly and we're only two weeks into the budget. But, those staples should last us a good long time and maybe I can still keep us under our old budget of $400 for the month.



3 comments:

  1. Project Food Budget is a great idea. We have been on a clean out the fridge/freezer/pantry kick too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If all that stuff lasts over a month, hopefully it will pad next month's budget a little...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate when that happens. though, it seems like that has been happening to me through the entire challenge. i've been over by about $5-10 each week.

    ReplyDelete