Saturday, January 15, 2011

Vegetarian Cranberry-Blue Cheese Meatloaf Recipe

Day 15.


I really wanted to test the new beef substitute on something in which only real beef is usually used. So, I went with something I usually hate. Meatloaf. Yuck. It's so gross, meat and ketchup with some eggs and bread crumbs mixed into it. Disgusting. But, I found a more delicious-sounding version—cherry blue cheese meatloaf. That could be good, right? My husband said no, that sounds gross. But, I made it anyway, with cranberries because, of course, I had those and not the cherries.


Cranberry-Blue Cheese Meatloaf
Ingredients
1 pound equivalent (1/4 recipe) of Beef Substitute
1/2 C dried cranberries
1/2 C blue cheese dressing

1 egg
1 tsp. seasoned salt or Spike seasoning
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 C bread crumbs


DirectionsIn a large mixing bowl, mix the meat, cranberries, blue cheese, spices, bread crumbs and the egg.

Spray the inside of your crock or a loaf pan insert well with cooking spray. Put the meat into the pot and shape into a large round blob in the center (4 quart) or, in a 6 quart, pack the meatloaf in a loaf pan and put into crock.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. The meat is done when it is cooked thoroughly and has browned on top and darkened on the edges. Watch this closely after a few hours, it will burn.

Remove and let it stand on a cutting board for 15 minutes before cutting.

This is how our toddler had her meatloaf,
with potatoes and green beans 


Adapted from original recipe here.


The Results
I uttered a sentence I never thought to say in my life, "I love this meatloaf." What? Yes, in spite of the fact that it's a loaf of meat-flavored stuff, and I even baked it too long (7.5 hours like the original recipe) and burned the edges a bit, I loved it. It was so delicious. The blue cheese and cranberries made it decadently delicious. You should definitely save 1/4 of the meat you made earlier in the week for this recipe. So surprisingly good. We served it with potatoes and green beans.


This recipe is linked at What's for Lunch Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting :). I am loving veggies but still really like meat.

    <3, New Follower

    ReplyDelete