Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vegetarian Chorizo Dim Sum Rolls Recipe


Day 18.

I've always been enamored with Chinese dim sum rolls, but of course, they're usually stuffed with pork. So, I've never been able to try them. I wanted to make Chinese dim sum, but all I had that is pork-like is Chorizo. So, I'm creating this Mexican-style dim sum.

Masa Dim Sum Chorizo Rolls
Masa Bread
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 ½ cups water, divided, warm (110F)
2 tbsp sugar
½ cup masa harina
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2 cups bread flour, plue more if necessary
coarse cornmeal, for baking

Filling
1 package "chorizo" substitute
1/4 C butter or margarine
1/2 C onion, diced?
1/4-1/2 C flour
1 3/4 – 2 C liquid (veggie broth)
salt & pepper to taste, and any other appropriate seasonings
1 C black beans
1/2 C cheese

Directions
Mix dry bread ingredients, add wet ingredients and mix until it pulls away from the bowl. Throw out onto floured surface and need about 5 minutes. Return to lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise for about 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in size.

Turn dough out onto floured surface and gently deflate. Roll out and divide into 10-12 rolls depending on desired size and roll-making proficiency (the larger rolls are easier, I did 10). Press rolls flat in palm. Place (I use an ice cream scoop) about 1/4 C filling into flat roll and fold sides up over filling. I use a wonton-technique, folding the sides and middle up and squishing the edges together. Then flip the ball over in your hand and place rolls onto baking sheet covered lightly with masa or cornmeal.

When done, bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes. Makes 10-12 rolls, about 4 servings.

This recipe was of my own creation, inspired by Chinese Pork-stuffed Dim Sum Rolls.

The Results
Yowza this are yummy and they freeze fantastically (I am planning to eat them for breakfasts.) It's funny, I expected these to be like Mexican dim sum, but they taste really Indian. I think it's the spices in the "chorizo" (I used Yves brand). I didn't add any curry or anything else Indian. Regardless, I love them.

This post is linked at Tempt My Tummy TuesdaysDelicious DishesTip Me TuesdaySlightly Indulgent TuesdayMake it with... Monday and What's Cooking Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. These sound great! & I'm starving... which made me realize, oh, yes. It's lunch time. ;) I'm a new follower from the weekly blog hop. I'm not vegan, but we can all use more veggies in our diets! Or at least I can. Here's a link to my blog if you like: Randomly Speaking, Poetically Thinking, Simply Me...: This Sunday’s Reflection… (01/16/11)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for new freezer food and these sound tasty!

    New Tuesday follower! I hope you'll follow me back!
    www.texastypeamom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good. i will have to give them a try. LOVE the blog! What a fabulous concept and your recipes look fairly easy to duplicate. I look forward to visiting again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to find your blog! (From Kings Court IV). Your family is exactly like mine! I'm veggie, hubby is omnivore (pure carnivore if he had his way), and two kids that dabble in both (ok, one is 10 months, so she gets very little to no meat since I am feeding her). I look forward to reading regularly!
    Thanks!
    Casey @ MaritimeMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey I'm so glad you found the site. I wish you luck in your feeding adventures and I hope I can be of some assistance to you and your family. And yes, our toddler leans toward the veggie side and our baby is getting only veggie-mama milk, so she's a de facto vegetarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I love those Chinese pork dim sums, but these look like a fantastic substitute. In fact I can imagine all sorts of fillings in those "rolls". Can't wait to try.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Make it with ... Mondays, challenge cornmeal.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete