Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Brunch: Vegetarian Sausage Bars Recipe


Day 9.

Mmm...sausage bars. Cream cheese, cheese, "sausage" and crescent rolls. Yum. I used "Gimme Lean" sausage-style meat (it comes in a tube in the health-food cooler with the organic milk and such or sometimes with the produce). This is the perfect easy Sunday Brunch recipe. Even if you make your own crescent rolls, this is quick and simple.

Sausage Bars
Ingredients
2 cans crescent rolls or homemade substitute (recipe follows)
1 8 oz. cream cheese
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 package sausage substitute, about 1 pound

Directions
Combine sausage, cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a bowl, set aside. Roll out one can of crescents in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. Spread entire sausage mixture onto rolled out crescents. Top mixture without second can of crescents. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Let cool for a few minutes and slice into bars. I split the recipe in half and the dough was still a bit raw at 15 minutes, so I added some time to mine. My oven almost always cooks faster than the recipe prescribes, or at least at the low end of the time. So, you may want to go for 20 minutes as well.

Homemade Crescent Roll Dough
Makes 24 rolls
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 C warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
1 C butter or margarine, melted
1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
4 C all-purpose flour
Directions
If required, activate yeast in warm water. Mix ingredients, roll dough in 12-inch circles and divide into wedges. For the above recipe, divide into two sections and roll into two 13 x 9 sheets.

Sausage Bars recipe adapted from here.

The Results
You're going to laugh at me for this one. But that's OK. This was a split decision. My husband (the meat-eater) really likes these. He says it tastes just like real sausage rolls/bars. That's probably my problem with it. I don't like sausage! I've always been fond of the fake sausage in other applications, but this is just too sausagey for me. I want more cheese and bread to the amount of sausage. I think, if I made it again, I'd make half the same, and half with about half the amount of sausage and double the cheeses for me. So, if you miss real sausage and don't eat it anymore, make this today! It'll be delicious. But, if you don't like sausage and don't miss it, halve the sausage or substitute in ground "beef" for the sausage and make some cheesy beef bars. 

What did you have for Sunday breakfast, brunch or lunch?

This post linked at Let's Do Brunch and What's for Lunch Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great brunch idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on the conversion! The cheesiness is my favorite part too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for posting this on Let's Do Brunch.

    I bet this is a hit wherever it is offered. All that flavor.

    ReplyDelete