Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Brunch: Vegetarian Bacon, Egg & Cheese Cups Recipe


Day 2.


I love breakfast for dinner or just lounging about Sunday morning until brunch and having a fancy Sunday brunch around 10. French toast, omelettes, pancakes and waffles are all regulars on weekends for us. This one is made with bacon, egg and cheese and top it off with biscuit dough. It has to be good, right? It's like a McMuffin, but not gross! These are going to be a great breakfast, I can feel it. And, once they're made, so easy to pull out of the fridge and serve to the toddler (and myself). I found this at StolenMomentsCooking, she has an awesome recipe index. Here's the vegetarian version.


Bacon, Egg and Cheese Cups
Ingredients
for the crust:
2 ½ C flour
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ C butter, melted
½ C milk
1 egg, lightly beaten

for the filling:
6 eggs
3 oz. cream cheese
1 C milk
1 box (about 1 lb. equivalent) vegetarian bacon (I use Morningstar Farms), cooked and crumbled
1 ½ C shredded cheddar cheese (I used Mexican cheese blend)
to taste: hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, bacon salt

Directions
Make the crust In a large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk and egg until dough comes together. Knead a few times by hand and set aside.

Make the filling. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Stir in cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add other ingredients and stir to combine.

Assemble the cups using about 2 Tbsp. of biscuit dough at a time, press into the bottom and about three quarters of the way up the sides, of lightly greased muffin tins. Pre-bake at 400 degrees for 3 minutes.
Pour ¼ cup egg mixture into each pre-baked biscuit cup and bake for 12-15 minutes longer, until eggs are completely set and biscuit cups are slightly browned.

TIP: save time by using store-bought biscuit dough or Bisquick instead of the homemade crust dough.

Original recipe can be found here.


The Results
Yum. These are really good. Nice and fluffy with just the right ratio of eggy filling to biscuit cup. And, shh...I completely forgot the milk after being distracted by the babies. It was still fluffy! The fake bacon is an acquired taste. So, if you know you don't like it or think you won't, try "sausage" instead. I think it would be great that way, too.

Do you do breakfast for dinner or Sunday brunch? What's your favorite?

Comment or link and either link back or grab a button.








Veggie Converter 365




This post linked at: Menu Inspiration MondayTip Me Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul HopTuesday Twister, Delectable TuesdayWhat's Cooking Wednesday? and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday.

5 comments:

  1. Lots of ways to make muffins into meals. Bento makers do it alot with leftovers to put in their kids lunch boxes using corn muffins as a base. Great idea.

    I know someone who makes mini omlettes in her muffin tin, adds in sauted veggies. Keeps them in her fridge for quick breakfasts all week.

    I can't eat pork and haven't tried the fake stuff because a migraine is just not something I'm willing to force on myself. I'd rather go without if there is even a chance for one.

    We do breakfast for dinner quite a bit: Omlettes, eggs & pancakes every once in a while, but usually a frittata
    of some sort. I have several cast iron pans and I can make a large frittata full of veg and cheese for DH and I and a small one that is just potato and egg for DD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm....I love frittatas. Thanks for the bento idea, too. That is so creative. I've been following a bento blog. My kids aren't that age yet (2 under 2), but I guess I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for those days. I know they'll arrive far too quickly. Thanks for sharing Viki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!
    Hi,
    I'm following from the blog hop.
    I'd love a follow back at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    Mika

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for breakfast! Thanks for sharing with Fat Camp Fridays, hope to see you back next week with another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to make these, with turkey bacon for the meat eaters here :). Love it!

    ReplyDelete