Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mock Tuna Burritos Recipe


Day 22.

I found this recipe booklet from Canada that has a lot of tuna recipes I've never even thought of converting before. After using the Lemon-Basil Baked Tofu in Monday's panini recipe, I'm a big believer in mock tuna. So, here's another way to use that "tuna."

Baked Tuna Burritos 
1 package of tofu, to be baked tuna-style, recipe follows
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 C mayo
1/4 C sweet pickle relish (or diced sweet pickles)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper, each
4 large tortillas
1 C shredded cheddar

Tomato Salsa: 
2 C tomatoes
2 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. minced jalapeno
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper, each
1/2 C black beans

Tuna-style Baked Tofu
1 block firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed and cut into four equal slices
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Mix marinade ingredients and transfer marinade to ziploc bag and add tofu. Allow to marinate overnight or at least 4 hours. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through and basting with extra marinade.

Mix tofu, veggies, mustard, mayo, relish, salt and pepper. Spoon 3/4 C onto each tortilla. Fold bottom edge over filling, then sides, roll up. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake seam side down on greased rimmed baking sheet at 400 for 15 minutes.

Make salsa, serve with salsa.  Adapted from original recipe in Canadian Living, Healthy Eating 125 Recipes.

The Results
This was already on the menu for the week when we found out we had to go dairy-free for our toddler this week. So, I left the dairy out of half of the burritos. Both versions OK. I thought the mayonnaise in a burrito was a little odd though. My favorite ended up being the one oddball that got no mayo but still managed to get some cheese on top. That one was delicious. The rest tasted like "tuna" salad inside a tortilla, just not my thing. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge tuna salad fan, so this probably wouldn't be my thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, I made tuna salad with the same tuna-style tofu the day before and liked it pretty well. (I've never liked tuna salad, but that has more to do with the celery allergy and not being able to get past the smell of tuna. Actually, I'm not sure I've really tried tuna salad.) But, something about topping it with cheese and putting it in a tortilla made it funky. Really funky. And the name! Tuna & Veggies it said...the only "veggie" they had was the celery. Well, and the pickles I guess. Pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to have the chance of eat this food, the recipe will be so easy to cook.

    ReplyDelete