I found a really yummy-sounding turkey and potato enchiladas recipe. I'm of course going to convert it into a ground faux beef and potato enchiladas recipe. I'm excited. This is what I intended to make for my Meatless (Vegan) Monday, but alas I was doing holiday things and ended up eating out that day. So here it is. This recipe is vegan and can also be made soy-free and gluten-free pretty easily. For those not going soy-free and living in the south, Publix now produces a Greenwise brand "beef" crumble, which is cheaper than the name brands and would be good to try here.
Beefy Vegan Potato Enchiladas
3/4 pound ground round "beef" or soy-free "beef" crumbles
1 Cup frozen diced onions
1 (4.5-ounce) can green chiles
1/4 Cup taco seasoning or (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I'm using homemade taco seasoning, which is way tastier and gluten/junk free...recipe follows)
1/3 Cup water
1 Cup refrigerated hash brown potatoes or homemade (be sure to get the all-natural variety if using the prepackaged hashbrowns)
10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
2 Cups shredded Cheddar cheese (or vegan cheez for vegan option)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2–3 minutes.
2. Add "beef", onions, and green chiles. Cook 5–7 minutes, stirring frequently, until meat is warmed through. Stir in taco seasoning, water, and potatoes.
3. Assemble enchiladas as follows: lay tortilla flat and place 1/4 cup meat mixture on tortilla. Roll tortilla to form cylinder shape and arrange seam side down in 10- x 13-inch baking dish. Repeat with all tortillas.
4. Pour enchilada sauce over filled enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 12 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
5. Top with your choice of tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and sour cream, if desired. Serve. (Makes 5 servings.)
Original recipe can be found here.
Taco Seasoning Mix
1/4 Cup instant minced onion
3 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. crushed red pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. oregano, crushed.
Mix all ingredients, put in an airtight shaky container for spices. Makes about 2/3 Cup taco seasoning blend. Yum.
To meet my Vegan Mondays obligation to myself, I went without cheese. Gasp. (Because I didn't want to buy vegan cheese for one dish.) But these were surprisingly fantastic without cheese. Yummy filling and cooked to perfection. I used gluten free enchilada sauce (Las Palmas) and I have to say I did not really like the flavor of the sauce. But, the rest was delicious and adding a little salsa fixed the flavor for me. I think the green chiles and taco seasoning in the filling really make this dish. The hashbrown-style potatoes lend a great texture. Definitely a repeat (probably with cheese next time).
PS: Don't forget to enter a comment here for a chance to win a $25 Restaurant.com gift card. Restaurants all over the country take these cards. You can look up your zip code for a list of those that participate in your area.