Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mashed Potato Pancake (Grilled Cheese) Recipe


OK, if you hadn't noticed from my weekly meal plan, I made a bunch of the components for our Thanksgiving dinner early this year. I'm doing my leftovers backwards! What? Dogs and cats will be voluntarily living together soon, I know. But anyway, that led to several pre-feast mashed potato recipes primarily because of the massive size of the crockpot mashed potatoes recipe (it yielded about 12 cups of mashed potatoes for me). So, first up is mashed potato pancakes, which can be eaten just as pancakes or converted into delicious and healthy grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum!

Mashed Potato Pancake (Grilled Cheese Sandwich)
Pancake Ingredients
1 C Mashed potatoes
2 C Flour, sifted
1 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Baking powder
2 Eggs, beaten
1 C Milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. Nutmeg

Grilled cheese option
6 slices cheese (I use Muenster)

Preparation
Combine potatoes, sifted flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix together the eggs and milk and stir lightly into the potato-flour mixture. Add sugar and nutmeg and beat well. Bake on a greased griddle until cakes are brown on both sides. For potato pancake grilled cheese sandwiches, put a slice of cheese between two pancakes and return to grill until cheese is melted.

The Results
These are absolutely fantastic. The original recipe called for 1/3 cup of chopped chicken liver and I have no idea why. I simply removed the chicken liver. I debated adding 1/3 cup of "beef" but decided that might be funky. As for the grilled cheese step, I poached that idea from a corn pancake sandwiches (Arepas) recipe. I thought it would translate pretty well. As for the nutmeg, I think I may leave it out next time I make these in favor of the onion seasoning I have seen in other mashed potato pancake recipes. I will likely put about 1 Tbsp. of grated onion in lieu of the nutmeg. I think I'm just not a huge fan of nutmeg in savory recipes. It always tastes like I need cinnamon and ginger and some apples (and a lot more sugar) to make nutmeg happy for me. That may be just my bizarre hangup though.

This post is linked at Real Food Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment